plus rave reviews for the
Gawad Buhay award-winning production
by 9 Works Theatrical in 2013
Travelife Magazine is a proud media partner
For the younger generation, school hops, dances, bonfires, and rallies were the rage, not to mention, hang-outs at soda fountains, drive-in movies, and all-night slumber parties.
Scroll down to read more...
ROCK & ROLL & FREEDOM
The teens of America enjoyed the birth of rock and roll and declared themselves to be free and authentic, distancing themselves from tradition and conformity. These were the “greasers,” teen boys who showed their rebellion with shiny, slicked back hair, thick black leather jackets, and tight jeans as personified by 1950s bad boy icon James Dean.
Girls showed their sexual aggression by wearing pedal pushers and tightly fitted sweaters. Instead of thinking about their future husbands, they dreamt of movie stars and even dropped out of school, as exemplified by the character of Frenchy.
TEENAGE ANGST IN THE 1950s
These occurrences served as inspiration for Grease creators Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey to piece together one of theater’s most beloved musicals.
Using themes like teen angst, freedom, and sexual identity, which were prevalent during the late 1950s, Grease highlights and glamorizes the period where the teens of the time had a greater awakening as they progressed to the next decade.
Matched with incredible songs, superb theater actors, impressive backdrops, and an engaging storyline, it’s no wonder why this new American classic is still very much relatable.
A MULTI-AWARDED PRODUCTION
The tradition was very much carried over to 9 Works Theatrical’s Grease which had a celebrated run in 2013, earning numerous rave reviews, a Gawad Buhay Award and several nominations.
Regarded as the “Tony Awards” of the country, the PHILSTAGE Gawad Buhay Awards for the Performing Arts acknowledged Grease as the Most Outstanding Production of Existing Material for a Musical.
The show also earned other nominations:
1) Outstanding Musical Direction (Sweet Plantado-Tiongson and Joseph Tolentino)
2) Outstanding Choreography for a Play or Musical (Arnold Trinidad and Francis Matheu)
3) Male Lead Performance in a Musical (Gian Magdangal)
4) Outstanding Stage Direction for a Play or Musical (Robbie Guevara)
5) Outstanding Ensemble Performance for a Musical
Fresh from their big win and recognition, this year’s re-run of Grease will be another much-awaited event, gathering a new cast of talent to breathe life into the characters of Rydell High.
THE ARTISTIC TEAM OF GREASE
The artistic team of Grease is headed by:
1) Robbie Guevara: director
2) Lorenz Martinez: assistant director
3) Joseph Tolentino: musical director for instrumentation
4) Sweet Plantado-Tiongson: musical director for vocals
5) Arnold Trinidad and Francis Matheu: choreographers
6) Mio Infante: scenographer (set and costume designer)
7) John Batalla: lighting designer
8) Chuck Ledesma: sound designer
9) Myrene Santos: hair and makeup designer
10) Gerhard Daco: technical director
11) Twinkle Zamora: costume execution
12) Leo Castillo: photographer
13) Tin Samson: playbill editor
14) Larry Palma: graphic designer
Scroll down to read more about Grease...
THE PRODUCTION TEAM OF GREASE
Heading the production team:
1) Executive producer Santi Santamaria
2) Company manager Anna Santamaria
3) PR Director Toff de Venecia
4) Marketing Manager GM Hernandez
5) PR Managers Jonjon Martin and Issa Tuason
6) Business development manager Anna Escalona
7) Production manager Randy Salvador
8) Stage manager Aries Alcayaga
For over 40 years, Grease has remained one of the world’s most popular and beloved musicals. Time Magazine even dubbed its 2007 Broadway revival as the “#1 Musical of the Year.”
Now Danny, Sandy, Rizzo, Kenickie, and the Rydell gang are back, ready to bop and hand-jive at the RCBC Plaza, Makati.
GREASE, The Musical
All weekends from November 15 to December 7, 2014
Friday and Saturday galas at 8 PM
Saturday matinees at 330 PM
Sunday matinees at 4 PM
For tickets and other inquiries:
Tel. 586.7105 or 0917.554.5560
Twitter & Instagram: @9WTonline