Sunday, September 9, 2012

A tale of 25 hours, ten flowers and two dinners

Last night, in Manila for all of 25 hours, I hosted a dinner for the second day in a row -- this time for seven people, including an overseas visitor, an ambassador and a couple of good friends.

As soon as she walked into my house, one of my friends said to me: "I read your blog last night to get updated on your life, since I knew I was seeing you tonight. First I was going to send you a BBM about that bikini in the Dead Sea story. Then I read about how you were hosting dinner two hours after arriving from a 27-hour trip from Tel Aviv to Manila. I completely forgot the bikini story. All I wanted to ask was: 'What kind of drugs are you on?'"

I laughed. It's true. I had a dinner the same evening I arrived -- thank goodness my Gulf Air flight from Bahrain to Manila, the last leg of my 27-hour journey from Tel Aviv to Manila, was on time. Then, last night, I had a dinner for someone visiting from abroad and I'd invited the ambassador from his home country as well.


If you've been reading this blog, you'll know that I bought ten beautiful metallic flower vases from the gift shop of the Israel Museum of Art in Tel Aviv a few days ago, and that these had set the (figurative) alarm bells ringing at Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport.

Well, the hassles were worth it, as the vases turned out beautifully. But as it was the very first time I was using them, I'd picked flowers that were slightly too tall for the table, and pretty soon we had to banish them to the bar so we could all see each other properly.

Scroll down to

But when everyone first sat down to dinner, these flower vases did make a beautiful picture, and everyone oohed and aahed over them.

It's good to be back in town and to see friends again. Even if just for a little bit. Happy Sunday, wherever in the world you happen to be, from all of us at Travelife Magazine, the Philippines' leading travel & lifestyle publication.


No comments:

Post a Comment