THE PHILIPPINES' FIRST WINE AUCTION
Last month, Forth & Tay and Salcedo Auctions conducted the very first wine auction in the Philippines with great success. 50 of the 62 lots were sold and the auction was packed with oenophiles, observers and budding enthusiasts.
THE BEST OF THE LOT
The lots that attracted heated bidding included:
1) 6 bottles of the 99 pointer Penfolds Grange 2004 at Php 105,000
2) A rare flight of Penfolds Grange Multi Vintage 2001-05 at Php 90,000
3) A 100 pointer Château Leoville-Las Cases St. Julien 2000 at Php 27,000
4) A 2004 Castelgiocondo Brunello di Montalcino (6 bottles at Php 18,000),
5) Teaninch 23 YO Single Malt at Php 12,500 per bottle
6) A 2006 Lucente at Php 13,000 per bottle
7) A Remy Martin Otard XO Gold Cognac at Php 8,000
On the success of this first auction, Forth & Tay president James DuVivier remarked: "We are delighted to have hosted the very first wines and spirits auction in the country which has been a smashing success. It is clear that whilst the Philippines is a relatively young market, there are more and more connoisseurs and budding collectors looking for good bargains of stellar wines and spirits.
Adding to the tasting experience of 100 wines from our portfolio, the auction has been a great learning opportunity for many of us about the perceived value of wines and spirits, about the difference in varietals, vintages, 'old' world vs 'new' world, wines for investment and those ripe to drink. This is definitely the first of many auctions to come."
A portion of the proceeds from the sale was donated to the Virlanie Foundation.